The pressures of daily life do not have to hijack your life.
Stress affects the brain.
You’ve heard it before.
Maybe you thought “I can push through.”
Toughness isn’t immune to burn out. Stress catches up and eventually people crash.
Here are 2 Simple Solutions to feeling better immediately (as you go about your day anyway)
- 15-30 mins of movement each day – yes you’ve heard it before, also known as exercise. Well, I’m assuming you walk. Don’t you?
- Meditation – Can’t sit still? Are thoughts too invasive? That’s ok there are various ways to meditate that don’t involve sitting still or battling thoughts into submission. This one might surprise you.
Instead, try a combo! No, not a happy meal but a walking meditation. 🙂
Yeah, I know you’re busy.
Try it you walk to your car. Or down the block to pick up the lunch.
Yup, that’s moving your body and meditating! Get up out of that chair, or from behind that desk (modern-day prison and posture killer).
A Walking Meditation
- Focus on the weight of your body as it shifts from foot-foot.
- Rolling your foot as you step from heel to toe. There might even be a slight bounce in your step as you push into the ground from the big toe before lifting your foot forward towards another step.
- Literally FEEL the movement of your body through space.
- Your weight shifts, can you feel it as a sensation. Not a thought. If not well, you’re taking another step notice what you become aware of step-step. This is how it becomes a walking meditation. Repetition. Witnessing.
- If a thought enters your mind put your attention back on your feet. Allow the thoughts to come and go. Just continue to focus on your feet and walk for 15-30 mins.
Here’s a short video (4 min.) that sums up the effects of stress on your brain.
It’s time to take back control of your life!